Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hooking up ceiling light

Posted by shakushinnen (shinnen@rogers.com) on
Fri, Sep 18, 09 at 16:18

My daughter bought a new light fixture and asked me to hook it up. She took down the old one, so I'm not sure how it was connected.
The basic problem is that, when I hook up the new fixture, and throw the circuit breaker, the light comes on, and the wall switch does not turn it off. The wall switch is a dimmer.
Coming from the ceiling are two whites (connected), two blacks (also connected), and a red.
The light fixture has a green, a white, and a black. I hooked the green up to the ground, and have tried every combination of the back and white to the ceiling wires, that I can think of, but I either have no light or a light I cannot shut off (with the wall switch).
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks,
..... john

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hooking up ceiling light

One possibility--and perhaps the most likely here--is that the power is fed first to the switch box and from there to the light. Then something else unrelated to the light is fed downstream from the black and white combo in the light box.

If that's the case, the red would most likely be the switched hot and should connect to the black wire of the light. The white wire of the light should be connected (or pigtailed) to the two whites in the box and the two existing blacks should remain connected (but not to the light).

You can verify or refute my assumption by taking the cover off of the switch and looking to see if it connects to a red wire.

And while you're at it, check to make sure that it isn't a 3-way switch with three wires attached. There's no other switch controlling this light, right?

[Just wondering: Any chance the light location ever had a multi-function fixture such as a fan/light combo?]

o

Hi Tom,
We figured it out. Turns out my daughter fried the dimmer switch by connecting the ground up to the hot. This is why the switch would not shut it of, it must have been fried open.
Thanks for your help.
.... john

o

Well, at least she didn't fry herself...

o

Yes...... that is definately a plus.
..... john

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here