Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Commercial/Industrial Ceiling Fan Switch Question

Posted by willowbend (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 15:49

Are all 4 speed ceiling fan switches the same?
I haven't found the answer so I'm reaching out in here.

Background: I have 2 commercial 60" ceiling fans of unknown manufacture (Westinghouse or Emerson or Foreign knock off) and 2 Rhine UC9020 switches that have lasted about 2-3 years before losing the connections to the 2 top speeds.

I've tried emailing and calling a few fan specialty shops, but they either don't know or don't seem to care since I didn't purchase the fan from them.

If I can't clean the switch contacts or whatever and I have to replace them, I want something that will last.
I have no clue if all 4 speed fan switches are the same or if I could go with an industrial rotary dial variable switch.

Without trying to find a VOM or taking apart the fan (20+ feet in the air) to find part numbers, can someone help me?

The fans in question are similar to this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-Industrial-60-in-Indoor-White-Energy-Star-Ceiling-Fan-92856/100015874#.UiYslcU5660

That fan uses a completely different switch, which leads me to ask again, are they all the same?

Thanks in Advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: Fans in Question are similar to this

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Commercial/Industrial Ceiling Fan Switch Question

Looking at a few websites, the Rhine switch obviously sends a different voltage to the fan at each speed setting (I was about to ask about the wiring between the switch and the fan). I think you need a VOM to determine if the switch really isn't doing the right thing at the higher settings or if the fan isn't responding well to the higher voltage output.

o

I'm guessing that is a burnt resistor and I'm making the assumption this is the same problem with the other switch. I can't tell the color bands on it, but it looks like a fairly easy solder job if I can figure out what it is supposed to be.

I'll be honest I don't understand how these things work, I can just identify what is there. It looks like there are only resistors and capacitors and this somehow controls the fan speed.

Which still doesn't answer my question.
Are these standard resistances/capacitances for all industrial fan switches?

Can I replace this with any 4 speed switch?

o

Do you have an electrical supply store in your area? If so, take that in to them and see if anyone there knows what that may be, and a solution to fixing it. I've done that in the past, and all the electricians in the store shopping helped me out and answered my question. It was like a challenge for them, and they all seemed willing to help! Plus if you need a new one, chances are good they will have what you need. Good Luck!

o

It may work like the blower motor resistor in a car. On high speed you get full voltage, and the other speeds are set by switching in various resistor values. Since many folks use mostly the lower speeds it often burns up the resistors for those speeds.

The big difference I see (from what is in a car) is that the resistors in a car are mounted so the moving air flows over them. This keeps them cooler and they last longer.

Bruce

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here