Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
20A outlets - Swap Out?

Posted by grandmum (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 15:03

Someone must have had extra 20 amp outlets on hand when rewiring some of my house as I noticed a few on 15 amp circuits.

There are no 20 amp appliances using them and I know the ramification of using a 20 amp device on a 15 amp circuit but I wonder....

Would you swap them out if this was your house ??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 20A outlets - Swap Out?

While code provisions seem to prohibit the use of 20 amp receptacles on circuits of lesser ampacity, It seems entirely harmless to me so long as the circuit is properly protected based on the conductor size.
So if you are confident in the facts as you presented them, I would just leave them alone-- as I would if it was my house.

o
RE: 20A outlets - Swap Out?

And when the house is sold and the new owner is not so knowledgeable?

For the little cost and effort involved, I'd change the receptacles and move with a clear conscience.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here