Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Voltage Problem

Posted by norulez43 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 14:38

I've been having this problem with battery backup units that kick into battery mode repeatedly. They either click or beep every time they do so and it is quite annoying. Looking at the manuals, it seems that there are certain voltage tolerances (ranges) and if the voltage drops or spikes out of that range, it kicks into battery mode. I wanted to see what was happening so I hooked up a digital multimeter to the same receptacle. I could not see the voltage move when the battery backup kicked on (it was still a good 117V at the time). Is it possible that it is happening too fast for the multimeter to pick it up? Or, should I be looking into something else? I've been looking for a good voltage data logger to record a history of voltage but I don't want to bother unless it can pick up these possible quick sags/spikes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Voltage Problem

It's possible, or it could be the battery backup has problems of it's own

o

It happens with multiple battery backups so it is not the UPS.

o

You need at least an RMS digital multimeter. What kind are you using?

o

What is happening with other things in the house such as microwave ovens and digital clocks with lighted displays?

o

I am using a Fluke 324 which says True-RMS. This is actually happening at work, not my house, and I'd like to buy something that can record these voltage drops or spikes if possible so I can show them to the electric company. We had a spindle drive crash a few weeks ago out in the shop and the repair guy said he was sure it was due to a power problem but we can't prove that.

o

Stingy with information complicates the offering of solutions. The POCO may be blameless in your situation. If your premises has 3-phase Delta service, the onsite single phase power may be supplied by customer-owned and installed transformers. If so, the problem may be there. A pro is needed in person at that premises.

o

There are such things as power quality monitors and data loggers. They sample a fairly high rates and log the data.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here