Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old fashioned electric switch

Posted by johncall (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 7, 09 at 13:56

We live in a 1906 house with wiring from the teens. There are some pushbutton switches in the house, and also there are two "twist" switches -- you spin a switch to turn on/off the light. One of the two is out (they are side by side), and I'd like to replace or repair it to match the remaining one. Does any know if reproduction or refurbished switches like this are available. I've seen lots of push button switches, but I have not seen any of these twisting / spinning switches.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old fashioned electric switch

Those are surface mount switches, if we are talking the same thing. They are ceramic, they mount on the top of the wall and the wires connect to them on the outside (usually I've seen the wires run down a board).

Dude, I'm a big fan of historic preservation, but these types of switches are bad news! If you insist on keeping them, I'd make them low-voltage and have them control a relay. I really can't imagine that they could be reproduced and made safe.

o

Check Ebay...If you are looking for the surface mounted ones that Jake2007 described, I've seen some on there periodically.

o

I couldn't find the twist switch, but I found the push button

Here is a link that might be useful: Here are the push-button

o

Yep, you're right: The push-button switches are easy to find. The screw-on rotaries? Not so much.

But even if you manage to find a used one for sale, I'd still pay heed to Jake's point: Are they really safe by today's standards?

Keep in mind that virtually all permanent wiring these days is protected by some kind of a box and that's why there's still a trade in push-button switches. But the days of unprotected, brittle bakelite fixtures screwed onto the wall are pretty much over.

This might be one of those times when foregoing historical integrity in favor of safety is the better part of valor.

o

http://houseofantiquehardware.com/reproduction/decorative-hardware.html

Sells the older looking push button switches with modern electronics in side.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here