Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ground Wire

Posted by jxk04 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 1, 12 at 13:49

I'm replacing an outdoor light fixture. I removed the old fixture. There is a plastic electrical box. There was no mounting bracket for the old fixture. The white wire was connected to white; black to black; bare copper ground to bare copper ground. The new fixture has a metal mounting bracket with a ground screw. Can I just connect the new fixture wires to the wires as the old fixture was or is it necessary to pigtail the ground wires together and attach to the ground screw on the metal mounting bracket that came with the new light fixture?

I did pigtail the wires and connect to the ground screw but I'm not sure it was necessary or, if it's not necessary, if it's ok to leave it that way.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ground Wire

If there was a ground terminal, it needs to be connected. Adding a pig tail to the ground wires is OK. Often you can just wrap the bare wire coming from the fixture around the ground screw on it's way to being wire nutted to the house wiring.

o
RE: Ground Wire

That's good to know. Thank you for the response.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here