Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skl727

Generator Enclosure

skl727
10 years ago

Okay, I realize that the construction of this enclosure is a highly guarded state secret. Why is it that your portable generator is to be used when the grid goes down, and give you some semblance of normalcy, but you can't operate it in any of the conditions that would lead to a power failure? Not to be exposed to water, (snow, rain or flood) or when it's too hot or cold or too windy, dusty etc. I am just trying to find out the minimum clearances needed, the right amount of intake air and exhaust air needed for the fans and how to keep the noise down for my neighbors. The sad thing is that I can find multiple references for pot growing intake and exhaust fans with calculations and also many other illegal activities, but can't get the maximum operating temps for generators or what size fans I should use to properly exhaust and cool the unit. Right now I can't believe that this issue isn't something that doesn't have more interest. I know that carbon monoxide is the silent killer that the corporations are hiding behind, but why can't we find the right way to do this? Or is it just my internet searching skills that are lacking?

I am looking to use a free shipping crate of approx 8' l x 5' w x 5' h. I will be trimming the roof to have a reasonable slope and I am looking to place ventilation at each end, along with a 14" sq RV roof vent that will be on the hinged roof. I will also be looking at placing a high temp cutoff (but need to know the temp) for the protection of the genset. I also have 2 12v DC bilge blowers that I want to mount for the intake and exhaust, both are about 220 cfm each. I am thinking that lining the inside with a cement backer board and a good amount of insulation should be adequate. Should I be doing or looking at anything else?

Comment (1)