Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Generator Enclosure

Posted by skl727 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 13:34

Okay, I realize that the construction of this enclosure is a highly guarded state secret. Why is it that your portable generator is to be used when the grid goes down, and give you some semblance of normalcy, but you can't operate it in any of the conditions that would lead to a power failure? Not to be exposed to water, (snow, rain or flood) or when it's too hot or cold or too windy, dusty etc. I am just trying to find out the minimum clearances needed, the right amount of intake air and exhaust air needed for the fans and how to keep the noise down for my neighbors. The sad thing is that I can find multiple references for pot growing intake and exhaust fans with calculations and also many other illegal activities, but can't get the maximum operating temps for generators or what size fans I should use to properly exhaust and cool the unit. Right now I can't believe that this issue isn't something that doesn't have more interest. I know that carbon monoxide is the silent killer that the corporations are hiding behind, but why can't we find the right way to do this? Or is it just my internet searching skills that are lacking?

I am looking to use a free shipping crate of approx 8' l x 5' w x 5' h. I will be trimming the roof to have a reasonable slope and I am looking to place ventilation at each end, along with a 14" sq RV roof vent that will be on the hinged roof. I will also be looking at placing a high temp cutoff (but need to know the temp) for the protection of the genset. I also have 2 12v DC bilge blowers that I want to mount for the intake and exhaust, both are about 220 cfm each. I am thinking that lining the inside with a cement backer board and a good amount of insulation should be adequate. Should I be doing or looking at anything else?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Generator Enclosure

My portable generator is outside only when actually in use. Any other arrangement will likely prove to be poor. Minimal side enclosure is better.
I salvaged a big sheet metal side panel from an old oil furnace, about 3 1/2' x 4'. 4 legs to hold it up just high enough so that the generator does not touch the panel in any way. Start the generator and then place the panel on the legs for a "roof". Good overhang at the edges. Perfect. If no precipitation, no cover needed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here