Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
class 320 csed and solar (pv) panels

Posted by ylmzm (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 13:31

We are about to upgrade our electric service to 400 Amps and we plan to install a class 320 CSED (320 Amps continuous, 400 Amps max) ( Square D, Model #: SU3040D400CB ). It has two 200 Amp disconnects, one driving its own 200 Amp buss bar, another one for a remote 200 Amp subpanel.

I have some confusion about how to find the max breaker amps for a solar panel installation. As far as I know, we can install a circuit breaker (CB) for the solar system that is 20% of the service panel�s buss rating. Is that the case? If that is the case, how to I calculate the max CB size for solar? We don't want to be limited by 40 Amps when we have 400 Amp service. Is it 40 Amps or 80 Amps in our case?

Should we select a different meter combo? For instance, how about installing a 400 Amp meter + two 200 Amp solar ready subpanels?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: class 320 csed and solar (pv) panels

Who is doing the solar install?
Where are you getting this info from?

o

Solar installation will not be done now, it will be done in 2 years, but we want to be ready for it.

Regarding limitation of 20% limitation: I just learned about it online.

One example:
http://www.energy.ca.gov/reports/2001-09-04_500-01-020.PDF

"For residential applications, the NEC 690-64 allows the total supply (utility plus PV) to the busbar of the service panel to equal 120% of the busbar rating (100-amps x 1.2 = 120-amps). This means that a 100-amp service panel can have a 100-amp main breaker and a 20-amp PV breaker."

o

Hi ylmzm,

very curious if you ever finished this install and what equipment you ended up using?

we are starting to do the very same right now and available info on is scetchy to say the least

thanks - hope to see you post back

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here