Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does quad electrical outlet require more wiring than a duplex?

Posted by kaysd (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 25, 12 at 13:12

Our building plans call for a duplex receptacle in a media closet. The electrician suggested upgrading to a quad, even though we plan to use a surge suppressor power strip. I assumed there would be a small additional parts charge to buy a quad outlet rather than a duplex, but it looks like it costs between $20 and 30 for a quad even without the credit back for the duplex.

We just received a change order for $140. Is there actually more work and/or wiring required to install a quad outlet? I want to make sure I understand what is involved before I question the GC about the charge. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does quad electrical outlet require more wiring than a duplex

If it's on the same circuit, then it's just a bigger box, a bigger faceplate and another duplex receptacle to mount beside the first one. A few bucks more in actual material costs. Totally useless if you are going to be using a power strip anyways. If this is the case, what benefit did the electrician tell you it would give you?

If they ran another circuit there (ie. one duplex is on one circuit, the other duplex is on another circuit) then that would be more expensive and could potentially be useful.

o

Additional receptacles is encouraged in media closets. Especially when a risk of fire in that closet is reduced. The price increase sounds rather excessive if not a customized job.

Since the electrician is there, also have installed the only protector necessary for protection from destructive surges. A 'whole house' protector. That means superior protection AND for maybe tens or 100 times less money.

o

Additional receptacles is encouraged in media closets. Especially when a risk of fire in that closet is reduced

Can you explain your reasoning that more receptacles would mean less fire risk?

o

"the only protector necessary for protection from destructive surges. A 'whole house' protector."

Point if use protection is still recommended, especially for expensive equipment.

It is called 'protection in depth' since surges can be induced after a whole house protector.

o

Thank you all for responding. I asked my GC about the upcharge, and it turns out he did not notice the outlet in that closet on the plans, so he had charged us for the whole outlet. He is not going to charge us anything for the upgrade to quad now.

We are waiting for a quote for a whole house surge protector, but still plan to use surge suppressor power strips for computers, TVs and related equipment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here