Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

"Outlets making plugged-ins hot"

Posted by leigoss (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 13:10

I have just started renting out an older house I own (lived in many years). Some wiring was upgraded, both bathrooms on GFCI. Some older parts still have 2-prong outlets (no ground). My renter says that the "outlets are making plugged-ins hot." I can't think of an electrical problem which would make this happen and don't want to pay for an electrician for no reason as I never had any electrical problems at the house. Is there an instance where the wiring (or voltage to the house, which I haven't checked) would cause this problem. I have never noticed any other problems like light bulbs burning out quickly, flickering, etc. and she hasn't complained of those. Because it is an older home, it does have fewer than usual outlets and she may be running many things off of extension cords. She also specifically mentioned a hall lamp which has halogen bulbs which she may be unfamiliar with. Any ideas or information or sources would be helpful. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: "Outlets making plugged-ins hot"

If the circuits are highly loaded or the distances long, the voltage can drop which will cause the wall warts to run hotter. Still it's not going to really cause any problem either for the wall wart or the house.

RE: "Outlets making plugged-ins hot"

My understanding is that If you are renting a residence in the United States, you must have a licensed electrician work do electrical work.

If the outlets are worn, the contact with the plug might not be good. That can cause heat. Plugs pulling themselves part way out of outlets might be a partial cause. To many items on an extension cord could make these problems worse.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here