Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deck Wiring with UF cable

Posted by houla (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 28, 08 at 13:03

I am building an outdoor deck and plan to install lighting and outlets. I have been told I can use UF cable as long as the wiring is "properly supported" and not "subject to damage". I am contemplating running the UF under the deck from point to point and attaching it to joists with wire staples. I would run it through hollow deck posts to reach lighting fixtures and receptacles, and use short pieces of Sched 80 PVC conduit as needed where it may come through floors.

My neighbor suggested I should use conduit everywhere and THNN/THWN wire instead. Is this required or just preferred? It seems like that would be a great deal more work, but I am willing to do it if the advantages are considerable. Can anyone weigh in with pros/cons?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deck Wiring with UF cable

The THWN in PVC is much more professional looking. The UF is easier to install. The price will be pretty close for either. Both will deliver electric current at a potential of 120V AC to your lights and receptacles. Your decision.

o

Why does the UV resistance (or lack) of UF give me pause with this?

o

"hy does the UV resistance (or lack) of UF give me pause with this?"

Interesting. In Canada, we have no UF designation. Our nylon jacketed weatherproof direct burial cable is designated NMWU, non-metallic waterproof underground. It can and is used above ground and is UV rated. Do you have such a cable in the US?

o

"Why does the UV resistance (or lack) of UF give me pause with this?"

I don't know. I am pretty sure UV rays don't effectively penetrate wood or conduit. It sounds as if the majority of the installation will be shielded by one or the other.

IMHO, wire and conduit might be easier to service if something went wrong later on. On the other hand UF will be quicker/easier to install right now. Your $$ and your choice I suppose.

o

"I am pretty sure UV rays don't effectively penetrate wood or conduit. It sounds as if the majority of the installation will be shielded by one or the other."

While conduit is fine, there are gaps in every wood deck I have ever seen that allow some shafts of light to penetrate to underneath the deck surface.

Unless you ensure that the sunlight can never strike the cable, UV resistance comes into play.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here