Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roger_p

Wall Mount Hair Dryer

roger_p
10 years ago

I am looking for a wall mount hair dryer with integrated GFCI and would like to hard wire without plugging in to an outlet and not break any codes :) Would appreciate some recommendations on the make/model and instructions to hard wire.

Thanks.

Roger

Comments (13)

• kudzu9
    10 years ago

Just go on Amazon and search hard wired hair dryer. You'll find a number of them, and you can read the ratings.

• roger_p
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kudzu9 -

Thanks, but I have done the obvious research. I would like some recommendations from folks who may have gone through something similar.

My questions are:

1. Which hair dryers are the ones with integrated GFCI?
    2. How do I wire them(can I draw from an existing GFCI outlet in the bathroo)
    3. Specific recommendations

Ideally looking for something compact with retractable wire

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

If you find the hair dryer I am sure that folks here can tell you how it needs to be connected. If you are able to find one that does not use a plug, you will be required to have a disconnect (switch) in the same room.

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

Well not quite. First off, the rule on disconnects is *NOT* "in the same room" but rather "within sight of the appliance." Second, the unit switch can be the disconnecting means in many cases as long as there's an additional disconnecting means elsewhere (which can be a circuit breaker).

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

Interesting, ronatalie. To clarify, a device with a main switch on the device can be hard wired (assuming that it is designed for that)? Are devices with several switches, think electric range, allowed to count this as the disconnecting means?

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

Most definitely if they disconnect all the ungrounded connections (i.e., the hots).

Article 422.34

A unit switch(es) with a marked-off position that is a part of an appliance and disconnects all ungrounded conductors shall be permitted as the disconnecting means required by this article where other means for disconnection are provided in occupancies specified in 422.34(A) through (D).
    (A) Multifamily Dwellings. In multifamily dwellings, the other disconnecting means shall be within the dwelling unit, or on the same floor as the dwelling unit in which the appliance is installed, and shall be permitted to control lamps and other appliances.
    (B) Two-Family Dwellings. In two-family dwellings, the other disconnecting means shall be permitted either inside or outside of the dwelling unit in which the appliance is installed. In this case, an individual switch or circuit breaker for the dwelling unit shall be permitted and shall also be permitted to control lamps and other appliances.
    (C) One-Family Dwellings. In one-family dwellings, the service disconnecting means shall be permitted to be the other disconnecting means.
    (D) Other Occupancies. In other occupancies, the branch-circuit switch or circuit breaker, where readily accessible for servicing of the appliance, shall be permitted as the other disconnecting means.

• kudzu9
    10 years ago

If it were me, I'd buy a good quality, plug-in hair dryer and be done with it. You can plug it in wherever in the house you want, you don't have to be worried about how to be code compliant, and you don't have to re-wire anything when it fails. If you want it to stow away like a hard wired one, there are plenty of wall mount dryers available.

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks, ronatalie, that is all of great interest to me.

• roger_p
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have ended up ordering this unit and you will notice it has an in built afci and I can disconnect from the unit.

If I follow the thread by ronnatilie, this would not need a disconnect switch? The disconnect would be the circuit breaker

http://www.sunbeamhospitality.com/product.aspx?pid=11696

Thanks.

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

Make sure you ordered the -040 model as it comes both hardwired and cordless. By the way, it has NEITHER an AFCI or GFCI in it. It has an ALCI which for practical purposes of a builtin unit meets the GFCI requirement (it lacks the ground-to-neutrla fault detection of a GFCI).

The ALCI switch in the base meets the disconnect requirement (provided you've got the breaker elsewhere as described in the NEC excerpt above).

• roger_p
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have ended up ordering this unit and you will notice it has an in built afci and I can disconnect from the unit.

If I follow the thread by ronnatilie, this would not need a disconnect switch? The disconnect would be the circuit breaker

http://www.sunbeamhospitality.com/product.aspx?pid=11696

Thanks.

• roger_p
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ronnatalie thank you! I will give this a shot and maybe post after I hook this up

ionized - thanks

Kudzu9 - good suggestion, but don't want any wires hanging out.

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

Once again, it does not have an AFCI, nor would one be particularly useful.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner