Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help electric charge on copper pipe

Posted by jay1971 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 12:29

This is strange we just purchased this place, so yesterday my wife said the lights in the bathroom started blinking very bad, we I got home I noticed it too. I went to the panel and started turning off breakers until I found which one was at fault. It was the water heater so I went in to check it out, it is in a closet area and very close confined space with both copper and PVC pipes. When I went to check the bottom element my screw driver made an arc on the copper pipe so it was the hot water heater arcing against the cooper pipe. I could see where it had been rubbing against the pipe. What would be the cause? I have never seen anything like this. I put a barrier between the heater and the copper pipes but I am concerned as to why a pipe would have an electrical charge on it. By the way power was off to the heater at the time this happened.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help electric charge on copper pipe

Eh? Have it looked at by a professional. The elements are at the line voltage potential. IT's not surprising that you made an arc (you're lucky you didn't kill yourself).

If the water pipes themselves aren't at ground potential you have two problems:

1. Something bad has failed inside the unit.
2. Your system isn't bonded properly.

o

If the screwdriver arced while the break for the WH was off, that means the issues is elsewhere and the line for the heater was just completing the circuit.

I would check the copper pipe to ground and see the voltage potential, then switch off breakers to see what is shorted to ground (similar to the previous method).

It also seems like your house's earth ground has been disconnected. It is either a long pole hammered into the ground and jumpered, or the (cold) water pipes. If solely using the (cold) water pipes, there is likely a jumper missing someplace which is breaking the path to 'earth'.

o

Most likely the problem is a loose neutral at the service or a ground fault in the water heater, perhaps an element. Either one is a serious problem requiring immediate correction. The hazard to both life and property is great.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here