Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
wet area - shock from switch cover screw

Posted by homebound (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 23, 10 at 12:25

Neighbor is getting shocked (not static) from switch plate screws in the bathroom after a remodel (they touched the light switch while standing barefooted). It's a 40's house with BX cable, plus some other remodeling work done by a "house flipper". There was evidence of improper wiring done by that owner that has already been corrected (found in the bathroom ceiling near the half-witted install of a non-working vent fan).

As for this energized switch (and two others in the adjacent room), the electician says the boxes (metal) are grounded, but that he suspects the neutral and ground were co-mingled or misconnected somewhere when they did the work. He says that it's hard to find, and that it would be wiser to pull new wire for the circuit. Are there other ways to fix this without opening walls, etc? (He says not.) Thanks much.


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: wet area - shock from switch cover screw

If it was a real remodel, then they were required to entirely re-wire the bathroom with a new circuit. Not just junction box the old all over the place and make it work. Time to go after the electrician and get it re-wired on his dime, assuming the electrician knew it was a remodel and not just a service call/ repair.


 o
RE: wet area - shock from switch cover screw

Yes, there is a way to stop the shocks without ripping the walls apart.

It's just as much of a hack as the one that caused the problem, so forget it.

Pull a new cable. At the very minimum, back to a point where you KNOW the existing wiring is good.


 o
RE: wet area - shock from switch cover screw

"Real remodel". Not exactly. Everything on the sly. The current electrician had nothing to do with that work so he has no idea what short-cuts the remodel got. He'll pull new cable if they give him the job, of course, but they are looking for cheap outs.


 o
RE: wet area - shock from switch cover screw

Unfortunately a frequent problem with wannabe contractors. Don't let this one go, tell them you're calling the city codes department to ask if their work is ok. That aught to get an interesting response.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here