Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Testing New Construction Wiring

Posted by fecollier (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 6, 10 at 12:00

Just finishing wiring up my new construction house and want to test my circuits before buttoning up the walls. Any tips or tricks that will save me time other than powering everything and testing with a meter? What do you pros normally do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Testing New Construction Wiring

I don't test anything. Your pre-drywall wiring shouldn't have any faults unless you did something really stupid. Most faults occur at the terminations (which you should not have been doing yet) or by some other trade drilling through (which will likely happen after this testing).

o

Same here.
It would be extrmely rare that a pro "tests" his wiring prior to the walls being closed up.

o

I do test. Takes more time than I like, but occasionally finds a problem. Drunken insulation installer stapled the fiberglass bat flanges to the side of the studs at the request of the GC since the drywall was to be both screwed and "glued". The sot drove several staples into the NM cable with his spring-powered stapler. The insulation company paid me for the correction. I power the conductors with a 60 watt incandescent in series. Puts full voltage on the conductors but does not cause arcing of significance if there is a problem. If the lamp lights, it indicates a ground fault.

o

I don't test outlet wiring, but I like to check lighting circuits. I have forgotten to hook up a connection in a box on a recessed can before. If I had not found that, I would have been tearing into drywall after because of the location the can was in, I could not get to it from the attic.

But then again... I'm not a pro =)

o

Grant, a pro would have known that you can remove the can from below to get at the junction box. ;)

o

A new construction can? I can't see how I can do that. hmmmmm I have used Commercial Electric and HALO cans.

o

Yes, a new construction can. It has to be removable or else the installation would be in most cases illegal as the junction box has to be accessible. Generally, you have to bend some tabs to release the can from the mount and then it pulls down through the hole allowing you to reach the junction box.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here