Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minuteman78

GFCI replacement - odd wiring?

Minuteman78
10 years ago

I am in the process of replacing virtually every switch and outlet in my house as it is 25 years old, and l already got soaked for over $400 due to an outlet literally falling apart due to age and heat which I couldn't find due to the screwy wiring patterns (One breaker touching literally 5 rooms)

I've got one outlet in the upstairs bonus room in the bath that was a GFCI and I'm replacing it with another GFCI. Problem is when I wired it up, the outlet is dead. Won't Test, won't reset, nothing. I know about the Line and Load, and I made sure I moved the correct pairs over. What I think is weird is that I've got 120 VAC across from the Line Hot to (a) the Line Neutral , (b) the Load Neutral, and (c) the Load Hot. From the Load Hot to either Line Neutral or Load Neutral, I have 0 VAC. Does this sound right? I also can't figure out where the Load goes, as all the other outlets in the bonus room work, even if the GFCI wires are removed. (and before you ask, no I didn't think to test the old outlet before I removed it - this is more of an in-law suite, and is rarely used, so it maybe never worked.)

Comments (2)