Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimrac

Having new boiler installed, want plug for generator

jimrac
11 years ago

Hi all,

Just curious if this makes sense and is doable.

Having a new boiler installed; so we want have an outlet or plug of some sort next to the system, whereby, we can just an extension cord cor etc and plug it in from the generator? Also, maybe to make it even simpler for us, I think its possible to snake a wire from the boiler, and have it mounted on the exterior of the house, whereby we would not have to leave the garage doors open and instead just plug the generator into the outside outelt?

Before I talk with the plumber an electrician, just want to get some feedback from others.

Thank you.

Bottom line is, we are just trying to make as simmple as possible for us. Just waant the boiler and water avaialble should loss of electricity happen..

Comments (18)

• Ron Natalie
    11 years ago

It depends on the "boiler" but many of them can be cord and plug connected. If so, I'd have a regular wired to the house receptacle for the normal power. I'd wire a outdoor generator input back to a second receptacle next to the boiler. Then after you fired up the generator, you could just go pull move the plug over.

It's illegal to snake extension cords through walls.

• alan_s_thefirst
    11 years ago

You're talking about a 'suicide cord' because both ends would have plugs on them.

You need a transfer switch which aren't that expensive, and you can probably use them with any generator. Size is a consideration in terms of what you're going to run on it, you may have to go around turning off breakers.

• lbpod
    11 years ago

I recommend making sure your generator provides
    'clean' sign-wave power, so as not to destroy the control
    board on your new boiler.

• greg_2010
    11 years ago

It's not a suicide cord if he uses a "generator input" receptacle outside of his house, as ronnatalie said.

Then you'd use a normal extension cord to run from the generator to the inlet.
    The inlet would be wired to a normal outlet inside the house (isolated from the house's electrical system), where the boiler would be plugged in.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

When you say you want water available, do you have a well pump? And do you want to power that as well?

• jimrac
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all very much, greatly appreciate your comments. Weedmeister, we are on town water, the it will be indirect tank in conjunction with the boiler.

Jim

• Ron Natalie
    11 years ago

I am NOT talking about a suicide cord (and doubt the original poster was talking about one either). He wanted to run a regular extension cord. Not legal either, but not insane like the suicide cord.

He doesn't NEED a transfer switch if he uses cord and plug connection to move the load.

• alan_s_thefirst
    11 years ago

True. That would be the only way.

• lbpod
    11 years ago

Good news, but did you actually run the generator and
    have it run the furnace/boiler? Now's the time to
    find out, and not on January 22nd, when it's
    12 below and your power goes out.

• Ron Natalie
    11 years ago

An interlock is only better than a transfer switch in that it is substantially cheaper.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

And having a receptacle fr regular operation and then using an extension cord for generator hookup is all the lockout an transfer you need for safety.

Just not for simple convenience.

• lbpod
    11 years ago

YUP, you da man, Brickhead.
    Nobody else, on this 'FRIGGIN PLANET',
    is as smart as you.
    All new posts should go directly to
    your personal e-mail.
    Afterall, none of the rest of us
    even have a clue.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

'Afterall, none of the rest of us
    even have a clue."

You obviously do not have a clue.

Congratulations.

• lbpod
    11 years ago

Thanks Brickhead,
    That means a lot, coming from you.

• jimrac
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again.

Ibpod; great suggestion, thanks for the tip. We just got our electrical needs done and now off to acquire the generator. We are going with the Honda, EU6500 series on the advice of many others.

Hopefully it wont be needed; but its good to have on hand.

Jim

• ionized_gw
    11 years ago

How much will the EU6500 set you back?

• jimrac
    Original Author
    11 years ago

$3,899, plus sales tax, to the good old state.