Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
service cable in basement ceiling

Posted by homebound (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 11:37

As a handyman I have been asked to re-drywall a bathroom ceiling after client had a service upgrade (permitted & inspected) in a finished basement.

The main service line enters the rear of the home (bathroom), but the panel is on the front of the building so the service line runs through the ceiling from back to front. Line enters bath (boxed in and safety-plated), then up to the ceiling. In that room, it was run below/across the joists parallel to a 2x nailer. This means that the service cable will run basically against the ceiling in this room. Am I supposed to throw up a red flag on this or plate the entire 5 foot length where it's low? Would it have been proper to run the service line through the joists instead (lots of other plumbing, gas, etc. in the ceiling)? I also noticed the service line touches ceiling drywall at one bend in the next room where the ceiling is already finished. Thoughts, please. Thanks much.

Meanwhile, the client is already calling back the electrician to assess this, though I wonder what they would do after it's complete, final inspected, etc.

Thanks much. This is in Arlington, VA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: service cable in basement ceiling

In these parts, as long as there is 'disconnect' within
5 feet of where the power enters the building, you are
good to go. YMMV.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here