Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Upgrade from 80 Amp circuit breaker to a 125 amp circuit breaker

Posted by andyz1958 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 11:08

I would like to replace our 40 gal hot water heater with a tankless on demand water heater. Presently there is a main breaker in the panel of 80 amps. I need to replace my existing 30 amp hot water heater breaker with one that is 60 amp to handle the load from the tankless heater. ( of course I will wire with 6-2 AWG as called for.)
I don't think the 80 amp breaker will handle this. I wonder if I replaced it with a 100 amp breaker will this handle the load. Are there any considerations to this thought.
We live in a trailer home and the electricity comes to us underground from a electric meter that is mounted with three other meters. Electric goes from pole underground to meter then to us. I looked at a small panel under the meter and it has a 70amp breaker. I have I forgotten any info?

This post was edited by andyz1958 on Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 11:09

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Upgrade from 80 Amp circuit breaker to a 125 amp circuit brea

There is NO WAY you can make this work.

You have a 70A feeder and you need a 125A breaker for the water heater alone. I think this question is self answering.

A whole house insta-hot is not something anyone is going to put in a trailer without MAJOR rewiring of the service.

o

You definitely can't just randomly replace the 80A breaker with a larger one.

Even if you did, you'd be limited by the 70A breaker outside... Don't even think about replacing that.

60A (what the water heater needs) is less than 70A (what you have), but you'd end up with some situation where you can use your hot water ONLY if you turn off everything else in your house. Do you want that?

Basically, forget it. You'd need a service upgrade for this to ever work in a reasonable way.

o

Many people run into this kind of problem when considering an on-demand water heater. The service is often not big enough for gas or electric.

Have you done the calculations to show the costs for simply replacing the tank and buying the tankless? It might not pay off over the equipment lifetime even if you did not have to do major service upgrades. Doing the calculations might make you feel better.

If you are in a hot climate, a heat pump water heater might make sense.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here