Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buzzing sound in house

Posted by reidy (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 9, 08 at 10:11

I have a strange buzzing sound in my house that appears to be coming from the meter cupboard under the stairs beneath the bedroom. It does not seem to be coming from the electric meter or electric panel but just from that area in general. There are also water pipes running through there. I can hear it all the time day & night. My husband can hear it occasionally, does anyone have any idea what it may be? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buzzing sound in house

bees?

o

gas meter?
water meter?
could still be electrical. Turn off you main breaker and see if it goes away.

o

Will try turning the breaker off and see if that works thanks - will let you know as it is really getting to me now

o

If that stops the noise, have someone relocate the transformer or remount it with some vibration isolation.
I suspect that the noise is because the transformer is mounted to your ductwork or the furnace enclosure and the vibration (which is normal) is resonating through the metal.

o

Electrician now ruled out it being any of the meters or the breaker after switching everything off and the buzzing still being present. It appears to be coming from between the ceiling of that cupboard and the floorboards of the landing above it. Could there be anything that would make this sound in that area, there may be some pipes but nothing electrical as the electric was switched off and the buzzing still sounded. Any ideas or do I refer to the plumbing section before tearing up the floorboards?

o

Did you turn the water main off at the street or the side of the house?
Any possibility that you have a nest of wasps, yellow jackets, or honey bees?

o

Tried turning gas & electricity off but not water will try that and get back to you. No bees or wasps as can now hear it in most parts of house obviously louder when the house is quiet. Thanks

o

Had new gas and electric meters fitted, water turned off at mains. No bees or wasps. Environmental Health Officers cannot find anything on the low electrical frequency meter. Any ideas? Lack of sleep driving us mad. Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here