Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can undercabinet lighting be on a dimmer?

Posted by calypsochick (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 29, 10 at 10:05

Hi, all. We are using low-voltage xenon Task lighting for our undercabinet lighting. Do you all know if this can be on a dimmer?

My electrician was asking if they are "electronic or magnetic" dimmer. I have no idea what that means.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can undercabinet lighting be on a dimmer?

It is possible for most of the available low-V power sources to dimm.

Actual transfomrers can use a magnetic dimmer, while many of the small 'elecrtonic' transformers (actually AC-DC switching power supplies) can use a regular SCR type dimmer that you use for incandescent lights.

You need to check with the manufacturer to verify what type of dimmer the the electgronic transformer is designed for.

Pegasus lighting has small 60 W supplies (and even dual 60 watt units with two 60 W, 12 V outputs) that operate from regular SCR dummers.

Theuy sell just the supplies if you need them.

o

Thanks!

I found out that we need a low-voltage electronic dimmer.

o

"I found out that we need a low-voltage electronic dimmer."

That means the 'electronic' transformer you have is an older design.

It is realtively trivial to make a switching power supply that can handle a standard triac dimmer output for brightness control.

o

From industry trends this statement does not appear to be true "It is realtively trivial to make a switching power supply that can handle a standard triac dimmer output for brightness control."

The manufacturers I know of that used to claim this have retracted the claim because of performance issues. Lutron engineers don't agree and UL seems to require that dimmers are correclty matched with load type. Dealing with electronic low voltage loads is one of the most infuriating things in lighting control. Unless the products are specifically tested by some manufacturer to work together it's best to test to see which parts will actually work before sticking ones neck out in a bid.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here