Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
panvc

rocker switches for undercabinet lighting okay?

panvc
12 years ago

Hi, this is a great site that has helped me many-a-time!

I am about to have kitchen backsplash tile installed soon. I also plan to install LED undercabinet lighting. I found the existing 15amp circuit that has the kitchen ceiling lights (and various other lights on the same floor) and am thinking I can hardwire/piggyback the 24v DC converter off it. The lights take a total of 75 watts.

But to avoid going from a 1 gang box to a 2 gang box, I am wondering if I can do a dual or triple rocker switch. They take up the space of one normal wall light switch, by stacking the switches sideways; I've done exactly this to control whole house fans.

I am wondering if aesthetically, this is too uncommon and odd. The switch is in a prominent location, by an entryway to the kitchen. Thanks for any thoughts on this!

Comments (5)

• Ron Natalie
    12 years ago

As long as you don't violate box fills or other restrictions, there's no reason you can't use a double switch (rocker or toggle).

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

If the switches are listed and rated for the use, it is strictly an appearance issue.

• panvc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! This photo shows how I don't have room to expand into a 2 gang box without intruding into what will be the new backsplash space.

Maybe I could expand that 1 gang box outlet that's over the countertop into a 2 gang box, put a normal switch there for the undercabinet LEDs, but wire it not off the outlet beside it, but off the existing light rotary-dimmer/switch that's 18 inches to its left?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• hendricus
    12 years ago

I have a triple rocker mounted about 12 inches above a single rocker in the bathroom. The single is for the main lights and the triple is heat, fan, light.

Also have a double rocker in a double box with a single rocker. The double is overhead kitchen lights and the single is wired outlets in the dining area. Very easy to tell which goes with what and does not look odd at all.

Don't get the cheapest, they do look cheap. Spend 15 to 20 bucks.

• talley_sue_nyc
    12 years ago

I would totally stack them. They'll look modern and snappy, up-to-date.

And yeah, don't cheap out.
    (Unless you're doing an entire house, or an entire neighborhood, I've never understood the appeal of rounding down on that sort of "hardware"--it's usu. not just a "looks" thing, it's functionality. And while the percentage difference can be high, it's really cheap compared to the cost of the backsplash itself.)