Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janeway452

Can I use 60 watt tubular bulbs?

janeway452
9 years ago

After locating a vintage Lawson lighted recessed medicine chest, I had an electrician update the wiring to code with GFIC.
I have no idea what type of bulb was used back when this was new other than it had to be tubular. The 4" high 40 watt bulbs work, but the light seems dim and leaves the top half of the shade unlit. I've located some Incandescent T8 Bulb 40W (yikes! $12 each) that are 11 7/8" long that would fill the shade completely if the 11 7/8" measurement does not include the screw part. I also found 60 Watt - Vintage Antique Light Bulb
T10 Tubular Style - 7.4 in. Length - Medium Base - Tungsten Filament - Inside Frost ($6.50 each).

So my wiring is updated, but the part that you screw the bulb into is original. Is it okay to use 60 watt regardless of length or will it be better to just use 40 watt and hope the longer ones will give more light?

The way it is now with just 40 watt 4" tubular lights is just too dim. It's pleasant, but I'd have to come up with maybe an additional ceiling light. What do you all think?

Comments (6)

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

I see no reasons not to use the 60 watt.

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

Does the fixture say anything about max wattage?

• janeway452
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, it does not. I wonder what they used when it was brand new. Or find one that was salvaged with the original bulbs and ask.

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

I don't do e-bay, but I believe I see numerous vintage Lawson recessed medicine chests availble. You may want to check a few out and ask the seller if the unit still has the Wattage Sticker or Manual.

Just a thought.

Here is a link that might be useful: One e-bay finding

• janeway452
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. I did located one guy with this on eBay and I'm awaiting an answer. It's slow going, but I'll find the answer. I have one 60 watt bulb and I'm thinking of using that with the 40 watt on the other side and see what it looks like. I've found an 11 7/8" tall 40 watt bulb from a place that sells all kinds of vintage bulbs. I'm going to call them and see if they have some insight. Also, I saw one in Retrorenovation bathroom forum, lit and it looks like mine with the light going half way up. Someone asked a question about the bulbs because he had one also, but there doesn't seem to be an answer. I'll try to pursue that. It's encouraging to know that there are others out there with the same or similar light and maybe someone has come up with the answer.

I did not see any kind of wattage sticker, but I'll look again. A couple of days after it was installed it dawned on me that it was about 2" too low. It shouldn't be too complicated to unbolt the 4 bolts inside and raise it up on the correct size wood. My brother-in-law started the drywall repair, and it should be easy to cut off the top.

• janeway452
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, this is what I've found out so far. I thought I'd found an LED bulb that would work. It was tall enough, was the equivalent to 40 watt, but further study found that LED's can't (at this point) be used in a closed shade because they overheat. Can't find a CFL either so it looks like I either use the short 40 watt or purchase the $12 tall incandescent T8 Bulb (which I'll do shortly), but it's my guess that even though the light look nice coming out of the whole shade, it will still be too dim. So.....now I'm looking at an additional fixture for above the mirror. There's one at Rejuvenation that I'm looking at. The electrician says I'll have a choice of switches for the medicine chest and/or the wall fixture. Stay tuned! (I still wish I could find others with this kind of tube shade and what they've come up with in real life!)