Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GFCI 120 vs 220 Pool Timer

Posted by tgmccallie (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 4, 12 at 9:57

I am replacing a 220 volt Intermatic pool timer with a new one where the timer motor will work on 120 or 240 volts.
The other loads are dry loads that will handle either voltage.

I have 240 volts line going to sub panel which has a black, red, and ground wire (no neutral). This is the same wire that I had hooked to my 240 volt timer that I am replacing.

Problem is: I want to wire the new timer up as follows....
Wire timer 120 volts and the pump and cleaner as 240.

I did this by installing 2 double pole breakers for the pump and cleaner and a single pole 120 volt breaker for the timer.

The problem is the GFCI trips when I turn on the power to the 120 volt timer. Is that because there is no neutral wire for the line?

If I change this and wire the timer as 240 on a double pole 240 breker will that cure the problem?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GFCI 120 vs 220 Pool Timer

Which GFCI trips? Are you we talking about a GFCI feeding a sub panel?
Yes if there is no load neutral on that GFCI, connecting one of the protected legs rightfully gives a fail.

The load terminals of the GFCI must feed only their own load and touch NOTHING else. If something touches another circuit EVEN A NEUTRAL or if a NEUTRAL touches a GROUND, the GFCI will trip.

Your options:

1. Use a 220V circuit for the timer.
2. Get a GFCI with a load neutral
3. Put the GFCI's on the sub panel breakers.

Frankly, bodies of water you are going to immerse yourself and your family i s no place for amateur guesswork with regard to wiring and protection. Get professional help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here