Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Add 3rd Switch to 3-Way Circuit

Posted by davidpj (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 9:53

I have an existing wired 3-Way circuit with 2 switches controlling outdoor lights. Is there a wireless product that will allow me to add a 3rd switch to this circuit making it a 4-way circuit?

Other than rewiring the circuit as a 4-way, is there any other solution for this?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Add 3rd Switch to 3-Way Circuit

Adding a four way isn't hard. It's only the switch in the middle that's a four way, the wiring retains it's three (typical) conductors.

But yes, there are home-automation style switches/dimmers that will allow a switch to control other switches without them being directly connected.

o

Thanks ronnatalie,

I should have mentioned that I do not have good access to the existing 3-way switch wiring so that's why I was asking about wireless solutions. Hopefully I can find something that will just replace one of the 3-way switches with a receiver/switch, but I haven't found anything yet.

o

Leviton's Vizia line will do this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here