Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outdoor light goes on/off when it SHOULDN'T

Posted by aceh (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 29, 07 at 7:10

Had the house rewired due to Hurricane Katrina. The electrician replaced an outdoor light under a carport which is a permanent part of the house structure shared by a common roof. The light is a photocell dusk/dawn type light. The light will say on for about 3 minutes the go off and immediately come back on. It will keep doing this. He tried another similar type light and it did the same thing. Could this be a symptom of a bigger electrical proglem?

P.S. Prior to Hurricane Katrian and the house rewiring job, the previous light did not have this problem it worked fine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outdoor light goes on/off when it SHOULDN'T

I believe the photo cell is picking up reflected light from
the bulbs and is tricked into turning off. The simplest test
for this is to simply reposition either (or both) the lights or
sensors till it corrects the problem.

HTH
Chris

o

Or put a piece of black tape over the photocell window to see if it stays on continuously.
Then you'll know if something is reflecting the light back into that photocell and need to deal with that.

o

mikie,

I did the black electrical tape test and the light stays on as it should. I decided to purchase a motion sensor light which is what I wanted there in the first place.

Thanks for all the replys.

o

The trick is to seperate the photocell and the light. Units can be bought where the photocell is mounted remotely from the light so reflection is not a problem. I've used two of these in our previous house and have one in the garage at this time.

We never turn a light on in the garage, if it is dark it comes on automatically when you enter the garage. Also turns off after a few minutes 'cause the teens never learn to turn them off.

o

As you guys mentioned, it was a simple matter of positioning the photocell in a certain way. The light is now working correctly.

Still going to replace it with a Motion Sensor Light.

o

If you replace it, get a motion sensor light that also has a photo cell. Otherwise, it will come on during the day too.

o

I have the same problem with my photo cell going on and off and it is no where near the lights that it is turning. It doesnt have a cover over it, would that make a different?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here