Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outdoor GFCI receptacles

Posted by ylmzm (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 2:41

I plan to install some outdoor receptacles around my backyard. There will be 4 quad receptacle boxes. Each box will have 2 duplex receptacles, each on a separate circuit (2 circuits will feed all 8 duplex receptacles, 4 duplex per circuit).

Since these are outdoor receptacles, they need to be GFCI protected. I see a few options:

(1) Multi-wire circuits, connected to a non-GFCI circuit breaker, all receptacles are weather resistant GFCIs.

(2) Multi-wire circuits, connected to a GFCI double pole circuit breaker.

(3) Regular circuits, connected to non-GFCI circuit breakers, all receptacles are weather resistant GFCIs.
(4) Regular circuits, connected to GFCI circuit breakers.

Which option would you recommend? I will use #8 THHN wires (in PVC conduits), so I would like to save some wire if possible. The distance from the panel to the furthest receptacle is about 150 feet.

Couple of more questions:
(1) Can I use a single ground (#8) wire for both circuits?
(2) If I use all 20-Amp receptacles, can I use a 20-Amp breaker, or should I use a 25-Amp breaker?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outdoor GFCI receptacles

I would use non GFCI breakers and regular circuits. Where geographical proximity makes sense, I would use 1 GFCI receptacle and hang the remaining outlets (on the same circuit) off the load side.

Sharing a ground wire is fine, same "ground". 20 amp breaker is what you want.

o

You must use wet rated conductors here. THHN is not wet rated. Fortunately most stuff sold as THHN is also rated THWN (which is wet rated).

You can not use 20A receptacles on a circuit protected by a 25A breaker. Use a 20A.

Why are we using #8 here? Are the lengths such that we are concerned about voltage drop?

If you are determined to use GFCI receptacles and you're going to use conduit, there is no need for a GFCI breaker. If you want both circuits to show up in each set of receptacles, then you can just wire it up as a MWBC.

As you probably know (based on the choices you offered), once you are on a protected side of a GFCI, you many not share the current carrying wires (hot and neutral) with any other circuit.

Make sure you use in-use style covers on these boxes. They make double ones.

o

Thanks everyone.

ronnatalie, I plan to use #8 wires due to 150ft distance to panel. The idea is to minimize voltage drop. Is #8 THWN-2 an overkill?

o

At the full 20A draw, #8 wouldn't be a bad idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here