Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
santim_pa

Portable Generator Wattage Calculation

santim_pa
12 years ago

I would have a basement aquarium if not for my sump pump. Recent years, the power has been going out a lot more often... and I'd feel better with a port. gen. for the sump pump and for two side by side refrigerators.

The sump pump is a 1/3 hp pedestal style. The tag on it shows 3.5amp 115volts. Am I correct in calculating it to need approx. 1200 watts surge to start it and approx. 400 to run it? Add in two full size side by side refrigerator/freezers and a few 60 watt light bulbs.

I'm looking at the Honda EU6500is inverter generator. Variable automatic throttle, 5500 watts with 6500 max. Is that big enough to handle the above?

I know it is expensive, but if it has to run a long time and last a long time I think it is a good investment. The next step down for the Honda inverter generator is a 3000 watt... I think that is too small??

A transfer switch will be needed. Is that a crazy expensive item to have an electrician install, and is there one style better than another?

Thanks for any help. I know there is alot of info available on the web, but it is sort of "general" info. I was trying to get an answer using the numbers I'll be dealing with.

Comments (2)