Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
opinions-this is how my electrician wants to do the pool circuits

Posted by pspin0401 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 4, 11 at 0:59

1. An electrician who bid on my pool electrical job said he would run THWN wire for the pool pump all the way to the panel. I thought the THWN pool pump circuit had to run to a junction box and from there equivalent romex wire is to be used for connecting to the circuit control panel.
Question: Can I have opinions on this. Can the THWN pool pump circuit be run directly to the panel? Is this ok to do or an issue?
2. The electrician also said the underwater light circuit will be a separate THWN circuit run in the same conduit as the pool pump circuit and all the way to the control panel, not to a junction box.
Question: Can I have opinions on this. I thought I read that this is ok to do for the underwater light circuit.

thank you - I am a homeowner who is doing this research to ensure the repair to my pool electric which stopped working two weeks ago is performed correctly and to code - trying to avoid issues (Town of Brookhaven, Long Island, NY).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: opinions-this is how my electrician wants to do the pool circ

The more recent version of the NEC made this explicit while it was up for interpret before, only the outside parts need to be insulated ground which ruled out the romex. Of course, your local inspectors may feel otherwise, which is one of those things that the local electricians know.

There's absolutely nothing WRONG with running the conduit/THWN all the way back to the panel. It's actually nice NOT to have spurious junctions in there if you can avoid it.

There's nothing wrong with running the lighting circuits in the same way (same explanation). There may be some other requirements (deck boxes) depending on the nature of the fixture.

It's good to be proactive. Your best education point would be to get a copy of the National Electrical Code and read the Article 680 about pools. Also get your installation instructions for your equipment and read them for any special requirements

o

The pool light MUST be run in conduit all the way back to the panel. Your guy is conveniently using the same conduit for the other pool equipment. Smart guy.

o

"our best education point would be to get a copy of the National Electrical Code and read the Article 680 about pools."

One of the 'code handbooks' would also likely be usefu;.

They often provide the 'background' information needed for someone who does not have knowledge of the entire code.

The NEC has special articles covering many things, but many cases other [potions of the code still apply.

Article 680 covers pools specifically.
It will out conduit, but the other articles covering conduit govern what type may be used, fill ratios, derating for multiple conductors, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here