Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Power Strip Casing

Posted by DorieM (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 12, 11 at 0:43

Hello! I am researching how to build my own power strip. Can someone tell me what are the critical criteria for selecting an outer casing? In the store most of the power strips look the same. Is there standard casing? Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Power Strip Casing

Can't say I've seen a power strip "casing" but I haven't really looked either. Technically speaking, any components used for a power strip have to be designed to be used as such. It's not uncommon to see an ordinary junction box, cover, length of cord, and receptacle (or two) assembled as some kind of power strip. While it may be perfectly serviceable, technically it's a no-no because it's components are not designed to be used that way.

What are you trying to build?

o

What do you mean by power strip? If this is permanent wiring you have to use listed components and obey the codes. If you're making your own portable, cord connected device, not for sale, you can generally do what you want. Make sure any exposed metal is connected to the ground.

o

"While it may be perfectly serviceable, technically it's a no-no because it's components are not designed to be used that way. "

As long as it is cord and plug connected the NEC does not have a lot to say about it (or control over it).

o

Thanks everyone! I would like to build a power strip/surge protector for the home/office similar to what I could buy at a home goods store eg a power strip with 6-8 outlets.

I may not have used the right terminology. What I meant by casing is the box that contains all of the components. All of the ones I see at the store are made of a hard plastic. Does anyone know what kind of plastic that is? And is that my only option?

o

Look at DigiKey.

They have both metal and plastic chassis boxes of various sizes.

o

Thank you, Brickeyee, this is helpful.
Do you know what the rules are for using these chassis boxes? For example could I paint the chassis box and still have it obey the code? Or put my own plastic coating on the chassis box?

o

The NEC does o not cover cord and plug connected equipment.

NEMA covers it, but not tightly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here