Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tarado_gw

One or two flood lights?

TARado
9 years ago

Hello all!

After talking about getting them for years, my fiance finally decided that she wants to have flood lights installed on the back of our house. The back of the house faces a lake which has a pretty large wooded area on the other side and it is DARK. We currently have a light next to our back door (which is at the center of the house) but it barely lights up a 10x10ft area. Once the sun goes down it is impossible to see all of our yard. Which is why she wants the flood lights :)

The back yard is something like 150'wide x 50'deep, so it is a pretty wide yard. They are also being installed on a two story house, the back of which is siding if that makes a difference. I also am having someone come out and install them since I don't trust myself enough with electrical and drilling holes in my house!

Her thought was to get a single light (something like http://www.amazon.com/RAB-Lighting-STL360HBW-Stealth-Sensor/dp/B000W3YI26/ref=zg_tr_495238_1) and install it on one corner of our house (or possibly the middle). My fear is that one won't be enough with the yard being as wide as it is, but I also don't know much about flood lights so I have no idea. I also don't want to get two and disturb the neighbors.

So my question is... one or two? And where do I have them installed? I'm sure the electrician I have coming out could probably help with this, but I'd rather have the lights and an idea of where I want them before they come out!

Thanks in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lights

This post was edited by TARado on Fri, Sep 5, 14 at 0:31

Comments (4)

• mike_kaiser_gw
    9 years ago

The fixture you reference seems pretty expensive but that's up to you. As for the lighting, the fixture accepts ordinary PAR38 lamps. Buy one or two and see how they do. You can temporarily screw one into any ordinary table lamp (don't leave it on for too long because of heat) and shine it out a second story window to mimic the mounting location. If you don't happen to have a table lamp, you can pick up a work light or one of those landscape stake fixtures for under $10.

My gut reaction is that a pair of lamps isn't going to be enough. But try it and see what works for you.

• TARado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, that one is a bit expensive. Honestly I've not shopped around for them too much. As long as it works, cheaper is always better for me! I am very open to suggestions, the only requirement is motion sensor. Apparently that is a must have.

And thanks for that idea! I'll grab some bulbs today and try that out tonight. I have a feeling that just one pair of them on one side of my house (or even in the middle) just won't cut it, but that is a great way to test it.

• rwiegand
    9 years ago

For the sake of your sanity, the neighbors, and local wildlife please re-consider klieg lights on a motion detector. They will go on every time a deer or raccoon walks through, disrupting everyone around you. Outdoor lighting is fine when you need it, but if you need it bright all the time please consider living in the city. Or at least use lighting that puts the light where you need it and not elsewhere.

Here is a link that might be useful: about dark skies and their virtuues

• TARado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Honestly, I'd rather not have motion sensors and I don't feel the need for them. My fiance really wanted them, but I think I've talked her out of them. The main reason we want the lights is because he have a decently large backyard that does get very dark. This isn't normally a bad thing, but there are times when lights back there are very needed. I want to add visibility but I also don't want to disturb wildlife (not that there is much, I do live on the outskirts of a large city) or my neighbors.

Any input would be great.