Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Service panel cable

Posted by Hacksaw111111 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 27, 12 at 0:12

Hi, Can you tell me if this cable is acceptable to use on a 200A box?

Are the conductors size 2 and the ground size 4 Not sure how to read the jacket)?

Currently it is hooked up to a 100A box that I am going to upgrade. In upstate NY, NYSEG.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Service panel cable

No. For a 200 amp service you
need 4/0 aluminum.

o

Thanks, what is the cable above? not sure how to read it.

I'm going to be switching from a 100A box to 2 200A boxes (duplex house). What size will the service drop from the roof down to the 2 meter socket need to be?

I'm looking at the Milbank U1252-r-kkrge. I would run the 4/0 al to the 2 separate panels from new sockets...sound right?

o

You'll have to ask your local guys (probably the power company) what the requirements for their side of the meter. The NEC doesn't adjust that.

Yes, it appears to have 2 2AWG conductors (for the hots) and a 4 AWG (for ground).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here