Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of pull switch to ask for?

Posted by jeanie_beth (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 2, 12 at 0:04

I have a ceiling fixture that holds (3) 60 watt light bulbs. The fixture is switched by a wall switch...all 3 bulbs on or all 3 off.

I know that I can install some kind of switch with a pull chain in the ceiling fixture so that either 1 bulb, 2 bulbs, or all 3 bulbs can be on and then all off.

I want the pull chain so it is easy to reach and not having to walk across room to turn bulbs on or off, plus I can control the amount of light by either 1 bulb on or 2 or 3 on. I will just always leave the wall switch ON & control it by the pull chain.

I just don't now what kind of switch to ask for and most of the kids at orange and blue box stores don't know what I need.

What type of switch is this called and how does one wire this switch to the three bulbs for a pull chain?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of pull switch to ask for?

The switch is a called a three-way (not to be confused with a three-way wall switch). It has one common terminal (goes to the power) and then two switched links that you connect one to a single bulb and the other to a pair of bulbs. The switch goes OFF, then the one bulb side, then the two bulb side, then both, then OFF again.

You might need to go to a dedicated lamp store or try the fan section (they are used a lot in ceiling fans) if you can't find it in the normal electrical/lighting section.

o

A 3-circuit. You do not necessarily need to buy it at the link below. Price seems high to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: 3-circuit

o

Thanks guys for the info. I KNEW they made such a thing, just didn't know what to ask the kids at HD & Lowes for, and since it was the "weekend skeleton crew" working there when I went to ask for it, they of course said nothing existed like that...kind of like the guy at Lowe's that told me Lowe's did not stock vinyl siding as it was too big to display in their store, and it was on the next aisle from him. Thanks again.

o

"HD & Lowes for"

They may not even have it.

HD in particular only carries things they can sell in large volumes.

Lowe's is not as bad, but rapidly approaching.

A local hardware store or online place is a more likely source.

o

Why not install a dimmer switch. That way, all three
bulbs are turned on, and you can dim them as you
desire.

o

Look in the FAN department. Home Depot has it for a third of the price of brick's ebay listing and despite his pedantic quibbling...it is called a 3-way switch...

Here is a link that might be useful: 3-way switch at HD

o

"a third of the price of brick's ebay listing and despite his pedantic quibbling "

Say what?

Bus_driver.

RIF.

o

Sorry Brick, you are right. A thousand apologies.

o

Thaks again guys---went back to HD and bought the $4.xx fan switch--it is exactly like the one ronnatalie posted.

Thanks again--glad I didn't order the $15 switch now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here