Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tim45z10

Residential System Short

tim45z10
14 years ago

My neighbor came over and said that she has been felling an electrical current in the bath when filling. Where should a person start in troubleshooting this problem?

Please, I am more than reasonably capable of making the necessary changes. So spare me the contractor speech.

I appreciate your help. Thank you.

Comments (12)

• jakethewonderdog
    14 years ago

Start by insuring that all of the plumbing is grounded and bonded - including the hot water line. Then make sure that the neutral service line isn't broken and that there is a grounding electrode (ground rod) properly connected.

• bus_driver
    14 years ago

Electric water heater?

• davidandkasie
    14 years ago

i know you said spare you teh contractor talk, but tell her to call a pro. when someone gets hurt you could be responsible.

BTW, if you have to ask on here, you do not know enough to solve the problem. not being rude, just stating the truth abotu a very serious and dangerous issue that a DIYer does not need to tackle.

• jtwtech
    14 years ago

If you are more than capable, then you wouldn't be asking where to start troubleshooting. Call a pro.

• tim45z10
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Why did you guys waste your time with the contractor talk?

• davidandkasie
    14 years ago

why did you waste your time with this thread? it is not somethign for amatuer hour, so why bother?

BTW, i ain't a pro sparky and i deal with grounding and bonding systems for multimillion dollar tower sites, yet this is one i would had off to someone who has the knowledge AND the insurance for it.

• countryboymo
    14 years ago

A good neighbor would offer to get in the shower with her to verify the problem.

• petey_racer
    14 years ago

"Why did you guys waste your time with the contractor talk?"

What is with people like you??? You come to a public message board where any who wants can post. Yet, when you get an honest answer, if it something you don't want to hear you get snippy. You came here wanting to hear one thing. That one thing is agreement that you can do it.
    Well dude, that is NOT always the case.

Many of us here are professional, yet we get NO compensation for our help and advice. We expect none. We also have no stake in things. If we recommend something is beyond DIY and that a contractor or pro be called we do this not because our brother-in-law will do the job. We do it because that is the best thing. PERIOD.

• texasredhead
    14 years ago

I follow this board but don't post very much as I don't see much point in adding "me toos". I do wonder about DIY electrical work. Understand that some people are handy enough that they can install a fan where a light used to be or add a receptacle, etc. However, most of the original posts I read indicate a lack of understanding of basic wiring. And this guy gets his butt in a wad because he doesn't know what he is doing and you guys have the nerve to tell him.

• tim45z10
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I specifically asked not the say, go to a contractor. What is this board for?, if not to exchange help.
    There is a huge difference between troubleshooting and fixing the actual problem.
    What I was hoping for is this...
    Tim, I have seen this problem numerous times. Once it was the ground on the cold water. Once it was the ground wire at the main meter box.....
    With THIS kind of help I would know where to start.
    I have the ability to fix the problem I was just hoping for some help on where to get started. THATS ALL.

• countryboymo
    14 years ago

Tim the people here are trying to protect you and your neighbor. There are some instances that doing the neighborly thing is advising that said neighbor should seek a professional electrician and not just jump in DIY. Your heart is in the right place and I commend that but it does not take much error and your neighbors might not be beating as a result.

Here is the scoop on the effects current can have on the body I pasted from the Boonville Power Administration. Your neighbor is in more danger than you and she might think.

Effect of current through the heart region
    Â ManÂs perception occurs at just 1 milliamp. This is the point at which an
    individual can feel a tingling sensation.
    Â The "canÂt let go" value occurs at about 9 milliamps. If you reach out and
    grasped something hot, you probably would not be able to let go because your
    hand muscles would have contracted around the object.
    Â The effect of currents up to about 50 milliamps are temporary in nature. Upon
    removal of contact the body resumes normal function without any lasting
    effects. (Assuming the duration is reasonably short.)
    Â The point at which ventricular fibrillation occurs is critical. Ventricular
    fibrillation occurs between 50 to 100 milliamps.
    Â Currents greater than 100 milliamps can:
    Âcompletely stop the heart
    Âinhibit breathing in two ways:
    Â by causing the chest muscles to contract, preventing the lungs from
    expanding
    Â by blocking the nerve center of the brain that controls the breathing
    function
    Â The above values are true for a 155# adult. The value at which these effects
    occur is dependent upon body weight. For a woman or child the values would
    be smaller.

You want people in here to give you advise that might put your neighbors life in danger and get upset that no one tells you what you want to hear. If something happened and your neighbor was found dead in the tub that you thought was fixed would you forgive yourself? And please take the time to realize that people in here care about others safety and almost always try to help out whenever possible.

Here is a link that might be useful: Effects Of Electricity On the Human Body.

• geovann
    14 years ago

Tim ,
    Try reading Jake's response. Then read all the others and take heed. Seems nobody else wants a piece of it

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm