Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trying to Secure a Screw in Ceiling Light Fixture

Posted by chipster_2007 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 22:48

I had to repair a ceiling and I dropped the cover to the light fixture to make the repair. Although I easily replaced one screw in fastening the cover to the box, I have been unsuccessful with the other. I have tried all kinds of angles
in reinserting the screw where it was but cannot catch it on anything. Is there anything else I can do besides calling an electrician? Its seems like a simple thing but my many attempts have failed. Any helpful info is much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trying to Secure a Screw in Ceiling Light Fixture

Take the cover off again and make sure the first screw is in the right hole. Don't tighten it all the way up until you get the second screw started. Figuring out lighting fixture mounting can be some of the most fiddly parts of electrical work.

o

If that screw hole happens to be stripped, just speculating, what would be the easiest way of fixing it?

o

What is it screwing into? The box or a bar across the center of the box? If the latter (which is a common mount) you can get those replaced. Most lamp repair or better electrical houses would have some (I always keep a few when I replace a fixture in my box of random junk parts in case I ever need one).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here