Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tim45z10

Residential Short Another ?

tim45z10
14 years ago

With present condition of feeling an electrical current in the bath water.

I am curious, would you be able to measure a voltage from the water to a ground? Thank you for your help.

Comments (7)

• jakethewonderdog
    14 years ago

Dude, really, not something to mess around with.

Everything that could become electrically energized must be grounded. That's code - and for good reason. If that's done, there can't be current in the tub.

What were the results of the inspection that you did as far as basic grounding, bonding of waterlines, ground electrode and service neutral?

• tim45z10
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am asking this question for educational purposes. I am not the one doing the repairs.

• groundrod
    14 years ago

You should ask this question to the person doing the repairs. You may be able to tell if they are actually qualified for the work. Not trying to be rude but this is something that may not offer the luxury of a do over if you get it wrong.

• petey_racer
    14 years ago

You should also keep this in the other thread you have going on this exact same topic.

WHY did you feel the need to start another thread???

• tim45z10
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Different question. I was just wondering whether I could measure a voltage at the point where you could feel the current.
    I guess nobody else knows either.
    I did an inspection and I found the ground wire was cut at the point it enters the ground.
    I will not do the repairs. Thank you for those who helped. No thank you for those who cannot comprehend a simple request.

• groundrod
    14 years ago

Look! Isn't that special, an insult from an imbecile. I will be unable to sleep for days now worring about when the imbecile will electricute someone. It's just a matter of time.

• jake2007
    14 years ago

The answer to your question is "Yes, you can measure it".

A good meter connected to the plumbing/tub/water with the other probe to a known good ground (which may not be anything in the area that you would normally assume to be grounded -such as the plumbing or the ground on an outlet) will show the voltage present. If you can feel it, you can certainly measure it.

That said, I'm not completely convinced that the open wire to the grounding electrode is the only problem. If the plumbing is becoming energized through the connection to the grounding system -then I suspect a high resistance neutral service connection also as well as possible bonding issues to the underground water supply line if it is metallic.

If it's becoming energized by some other means, it would indicate a bonding problem as well as a ground fault problem.

I also echo the sentiments that this is nothing to mess around with. Even just diagnosing the problem puts you in a bad position. Calling in an electrician to fix the connection to the ground rod - without having them diagnose the problem-- is a problem. Anyone speaking with the electrician at this point needs to be very explicit that you noticed that the connection to the ground rod was broken, but that may not be the entire problem and that they need to evaluate the situation.