Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help fixing/capping live wires to prevent fire

Posted by henns20 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 22:41

Background:
In Pennsylvania. I am a rookie at electric and normally call the electrician. That said, disconnected attic fan bc it was making noise - will need to be fixed. Disconnected the white wires from direction of another rookie. The wires are still live.

Problem
If you look at the pics below. Even to my rookie eye this does not look safe.

Questions.
How do I set this up and keep it disconnected safely to prevent fire?
-I want to cap it and secure the wires so no there is no danger.
-If you look at pic 1 the blacks are still connected as well as the ground wires.

Images of the wire set up in the attic below. (Attached the first to the post. The second pic you may have to copy and paste into browser if link will not work.)

Pic 1
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1Ut...it?usp=sharing

Pic 2
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1Ut...V28/edit?pli=1

Thank you very much in advance.

Jamie

Here is a link that might be useful: pic2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help fixing/capping live wires to prevent fire

If the wire is still hot, it must be terminated in a box. You can not have those caps out in open air like that.

o
RE: Need help fixing/capping live wires to prevent fire

If there was a splice there before with no junction box, that was wrong, You can stick them into a box as ronatalie suggested or you can follow the circuit back to another junction box if there is one. The thermostat or switch might be a place, but it might not be either in the case it is a switch loop. If you don't know what you are doing, the safe thing to do is to stuff what you have there into a junction box that is fastened to that stud.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here