Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ionized_gw

Generator-ready main load center

ionized_gw
9 years ago

Does anyone have experience with main load centers that include an ATS? Do they come in versions that switch the entire load? I've seen the type that switches partial load like the Siemens W3042B1200GEN. I'd like experienced perspectives.

The background is that dad is now 84 and will have trouble wheeling out his vintage 4 KW genset and hooking up his basement sump pumps and whole-house wastewater lift pump. If the power goes out, he can't flush or use any other water and the finished basement may flood.

The location of the Federal Pacific main panel can not accommodate a main transfer switch and probably not even a sub panel ATS. A remote sub panel transfer switch is a pretty good possibility, but given the perception that the FP panels are an immediate danger, it might make sense to ditch it and put the labor that would be invested in a separate sub into in a new panel.

I am not too interested in debating the safety aspects of the FP panel. Given that a lot of home inspectors will stir up a fuss, it might be better to just ditch it if it will not cost too much more than installing a separate, remote ATS.

Thanks for reading.

Comments (2)