Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cost factors in running power to a farm

Posted by rbigg (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 2, 10 at 21:24

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could supply me with general cost factors of running 200amp panel to a farm. One way would be overhead (poles and wiring), the other way would be underground, for a run of .25 miles. I need some general way of telling me what each would cost out at.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cost factors in running power to a farm

This is NOT something you are going to get accurate answers on. This is something you need to have quoted on site.

1300' is a LONG way. Far too long for secondary (120/240) voltage. So it is most likely that your utility is going to have to get involved in a much greater capacity.

o
RE: cost factors in running power to a farm

Before 'Deregulation', if the utility calculated, (based upon your anticipated connected load), that they
could recuperate their investment in 5 years, then they
would build the line for free. Of course if you didn't
generate that anticipated revenue for them, then you would have to pay a surcharge each month, "FOREVER",or until additional customers come on line, either beyond you, or
along the line that was built for you. This would
be spelled out ahead of time and you had to sign on the
dotted line.
Today, you pay the full shot no matter what, because you don't necessarily have to buy the power from them, even though you still have to pay 'Delivery Charges'.
If you have the means to dig a trench that is deep
enough so that the primary wire is 30 inches below final
grade, then underground is cheaper. The utility will still charge you to do the connections on each end and
they will supply the transformer on 'your' pad.
But remember, that line will be owned by you and if something goes wrong with it, the utility will disconnect
it and YOU are responsible for repairs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here