Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water pipes and the electrical panel

Posted by rosysunnygirl (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 21:18

Seeking help with a mostly DIY kitchen remodel (cross-post in Kitchens). I'm hoping to move my sink over about 4-5 feet. This would bring the water pipes underneath the floor in the basement (unfinished) in closer proximity to the main electrical panel for the house (we are still in the process of coverting over some fuses -- it's an old house).

Now I know that water and electricity do not mix. What I'm wondering is: What minimum distance should be kept between the pipes and the panel?

Thanks for the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water pipes and the electrical panel

There's nothing specific about water piping other than it is just another thing (including ducts, etc) that's not allowed in the "dedicated electrical space" which would be just the space directly above your panel most likely.

o

"just the space directly above your panel most likely."

As long as it is ounted on the wall and does not affect the 'working area' it should not matter.

Ask you local AHJ, but the clearance is for the area in front of the panel for working.

o

Invite the electrician and plumber over at the same time. Give them some boxing gloves and have them fight it out. Be sure to make video.

o

I knew some pedantic person was going to quibble about the simplification of "dedicated space."

o

Uh-oh, I didn't mean to spark a fight! LOL...

Thank you all so much for your help. Appreciate it. I think I've got it now: Nothing directly above the panel and nothing in front of it (at least for 30 inches). I think I'll leave about 2 feet between where the pipes start and the actual panel just to be safe.

Thanks again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here