Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shock touching metal window bead

Posted by lasrocas (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 17, 10 at 21:15

My drywall guy complained of several electrical shocks while putting drywall mud around a window. No shocks while installing the corner bead though. I test it with a pen type tester, and the metal glows hot. I get no shock, no matter how long I touch it. When I put my finger on the metal, the pen tester light goes out, as I am likely a good ground. The metal is not touching any wires, although there are wires about a foot below the window, and one a little to the side. I turned off the breaker to that area, and the pen light goes off. How could there be electricity in a window bead that isn't touching wires? Any help here would be great. I'd hate to have to take the siding off the house to find a possible nail penetrations etc. if this isn't the problem.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shock touching metal window bead

Strat turning off breakers until you find the one that is engergizing the frame. Then find the nail or screw in the window frame that has pierced an electric cable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here