Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liberty2_gw

New home LED or traditional, what should i do?

Liberty2
11 years ago

Building a new home and my builder says to stay with standard high hats and he will install the LED. Says more flexible with choice and change and best bang for the buck. am i making a mistake. LED appears to be expense for LED fixture when can you install your own in standard? Whats does everyone recommend for a new build, want the best bang for the buck.

thanks all.

Comments (9)

• kurto
    11 years ago

LED fixtures tend to be quite expensive to purchase compared to other type fixtures. Please see other threads on this site for detailed information.

• Ron Natalie
    11 years ago

Where are you located? In some places (like California) he may not have a choice. It's illegal to install fixtures that can take incandescent bulbs in those applications.

• ionized_gw
    11 years ago

The best bang for the buck may be fixtures that are designed for good CF lamps rather than retrofitted with LED or CF lamps.

• countryboymo
    11 years ago

Yeah a curly CF in a recessed light is not the answer.

• Ron Natalie
    11 years ago

The R-30 CF's are usually not any more than a curly CF in a R-30 shaped envelope.

• lee676
    11 years ago

Go with LEDs. I like the Ecosmart/Cree CR6 that Home Depot sells for $35 each - that's not just for a light bulb, but also an integral baffle/trim kit (which would normally add $10 to $15 for each can). It gives off excellent quality light that looks like it came from an incandescent bulb, it turns on at full brightness immediately, it's cool to the touch, it lasts just about forever, is plenty bright, dims with most standard incandescent dimmers, and uses all of 9 watts. Fits in most 6" cans and is easy to install. If something much better and cheaper comes along several years from now, they can easily be changed out since they use standard Edison sockets (or GU24 if you need them). What's not to like?

See the lighting forum for more on these.

Every BR30 or BR40 CFL i've seen turns on dim and takes a long time to reach full brightness.

Another alternate approach is standard light bulbs in Alzak reflectors. Cheaper, but less attractive. You can use $10 LED bulbs from the big-box stores, or $1 CFLs (all of these may or may not be dimmable depending on type), or halogens or incandescents which are cheap but inefficient.

• Liberty2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Lee676, thats what i read on Garden Web last night as the best LED solution. Question, does the Cree CR6 insert into the can or it comes as an all in one solution? Since i am building new need clarity on how that would work.
    thanks all.

• alan_s_thefirst
    11 years ago

If the fitting described is what I think it is (they're more expensive here in Canada) it's an integrated trim and fixture. You still put in the can, but this takes the place of the bulb (conventional base) AND the trim.

Avoid CFLs. The have proven to be inefficient and unreliable for the most part. When LEDs get cheaper, we'll be left with LEDs, and a few conventional incandescents in things like garage door openers (too much vibration for anything but a 'rough duty' incandescent) - CFLs will be a distant memory.

• lee676
    11 years ago

xp - the CR6 is an integral light bulb and trim baffle, and in installs right into a metal recessed can - no separate trim bezel needed. Usually simple to install.

Cree CR6 installation guide

CR6 installation video on YouTube (since this video was made, the CR6 now uses only 9.5 watts and can be used in wet locations like above a shower. Some of these steps won't be necessary for new intstallations rather than retrofits).