Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen circuit dilemma

Posted by doc_scott (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 14, 11 at 21:02

To add as a sidenote to my other problem posted about the wall oven I am faced with what to do with the microwave? The new wall oven setup the builtin microwave is wired separately. The wall it goes on has 2- 20 amp GFI circuits that have 3 outlets each, and a dedicated 20 amp for the fridge. I also want to wire a switched outlet for 4 puck lights and an outlet for a small LED tv.... I have enough space in my panel to pull another 15 or 20 amp line for the microwave but I have a cathedral ceiling and have to run the wire in the attic with a very tight space (house is on a slab). Any insights would be helpful. We may be powering a coffee pot ,toaster, or crockpot on that side of the kitchen and I don't want to overload any circuits.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen circuit dilemma

Lighting can not go on your small appliance circuits. You will need to either run a separate circuit for that or find an existing lighting circuit to tap into.

If the microwave requires a dedicated receptacle in it's instructions, you'll have to pull that one.

2 20A circuits are the minimum. You're borderline OK with the mix of small appliances you've specified.

o

In for a penny, in for a pound. While you are up there, you may as well pull new lines for anything you might need. Lighting, microwave, dishwasher, garbage disposal, an extra counter circuit etc.

As for DIY tips, if you are doing a complete kitchen remodel, the space behind the cabinets in your friend. You can cut big access holes in the drywall and just patch them when you are done. You don't even need to be good at drywalling because they will be hidden. If you have some experience drywalling, you might just cut a long path in the ceiling. A sheet of drywall is only like $6, so it is about the cheapest thing in your house to replace.

o

Thats a good thought. I have the walls down to studs behind both cabinet walls and have run a new wire for lights and disposer on the other wall (live in central florida even in the am the attic is worse than a sauna). Of course the wall in question is an 8ft partition wall that does not connect to the attic. I will have to get creative to access the one wall I have to fish a wire from the attic... and of course the house is all hip roof ... big sweaty guy in little attic.

o

problem solved.... cut out the pantry closet ceiling to aid in fishing 2 new circuits with only about 30min of attic time... a new record. Thanks for all of the input.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here