Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wiring wall oven

Posted by doc_scott (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 14, 11 at 20:50

I am in the middle of a kitchen remodel and we are replacing a combo wall oven/ micro unit with a new wall oven/ micro that connects separately. The existing circuit that supplied the old setup was on a 50 amp breaker with 10/3 or 8/3 stranded wire. Way more that the new wall oven needs. Can I bump the breaker down to a 30 amp and use the existing wire? or do I also have to reuduce wire size?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wiring wall oven

There's never a problem with having over-sized wire. What does the installation booklet specify for wiring: minimum gauge, number of wires, and breaker amperage?

o

The installation manual was really not alot of help. The plate on the range did state the Kw rating was about 3.8KW and recommended a 20 amp circuit. The wiring scheme for existing will work with 10/3. Should I bump my breaker from 50 amp to a 30 amp??

o

I would be concerned if the existing 50A breaker was serviced by 10 gauge wires, although I suppose that's a moot point. If it's 10 gauge wire, definitely reduce the breaker to 30A or less. If the device "recommends" a 20A circuit, then that's what you should do. The 10 gauge wires can service the 20A circuit without issue.

o

My bad the wire is 8/3 with a 50 amp circuit breaker. My last question is the appliance Kw rating chart had a different breakdown depending on what voltage either 240 or 208v not sure what my house has. I live in a newer house (97) in a newer sub in florida.... I am assuming its 240v????

o

208 is typical only in commercial/industrial 3-phase situations. What is the configuration of your main breakers, 2 or 3?

o

It's almost certain that you have 240V, single phase service, given your description of a house built in 1997. Use the higher KW ratings for the appliance (provided for the 240V service).

o

is the micro 220 or 120? if 120 do you have a dedicated circuit?

o

208v 2 phase is very uncommon in homes outside of older mixed commercial/residential areas except for highrise buildings with commercial style elevators.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here