Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will a 40 amp breaker work? baseboard heaters

Posted by sunroomguy (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 31, 10 at 20:45

i will be installing 2- 6' and 2-8' electric base board heaters. one 6' and one 8' is 4000 watts/ 18 amps. the panel only has room for 1 dbl pole breaker (unless i use a couple of sgl pole tandems). if there was more room, i would install 2 - 20's. can i use a 40 amp dbl pole and run two 12-2 cu wires off of it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will a 40 amp breaker work? baseboard heaters

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

You can use a 30A circuit for electric heat, but not larger.
Even if you could use a 40A you CANNOT parallel #12 wire of it. You would need #8cu.

You need two circuits. End of story.

o

First, based on the question, I doubt that the person has enough experience or wiring knowledge to do the job correctly. Get a pro to do it.
Based on the information posted, a 30 amp double -pole breaker could be used to supply those heaters using #10 conductors. Both heaters would be on that circuit.

o

All the wire used in a circuit must be sized for the protective device. So, no, you can't connect two #12 cables to a 40a breaker. Not even if you're sure the loads are appropriate. Not code compliant, not safe.

If I'm not mistaken, a permanently installed heater is considered a sustained load, so is subject to the 80% load rule. Thus a 20a 240v circuit can supply up to 3840w worth of heaters and a 30a 240v circuit up to 5760w.

First, make sure your service has enough capacity to handle the additional load. No point in proceeding if you're just going to trip the main on some subzero winter night.

If that's up to snuff, to power your heaters, I'd probably install a 100a main lugs subpanel. Feed the sub from a 100a breaker in your main's last remaining double pole slot. Then run your heaters from breakers in the sub. It sounds like two 30a circuits (with #10 wire) would do it.

If some of this is confusing, I suggest you get a copy of Wiring Simplified and study up before proceeding. Or just call a pro, as Bus suggested.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here