Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fusible Link on Blower/Shopvac

Posted by coopns (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 20:32

ShopVac suddenly stopped. Took it apart and after some research looks like a fusible link. Do I buy that or make one? Should those two in the picture be connected?

I hooked on the multimeter and it made a sound/number moved when I put a piece of copper between the two end connectinos. It looks like those should be connected at the ends there ...Please advise.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fusible Link on Blower/Shopvac

Obviously the preferred solution is to get an exact replacement for that fusible link. With the make and model, which you have, an internet search may turn up parts lists and suppliers.
Supposing that the part search, after much effort, is futile. If it was mine, I would as a last resort bypass the link and run it as desired until it fails. Not much danger to you or your premises in doing so.

o

Is there some sort of sentimental value attached to the shop vac? If not, buy a new one on sale, with a warranty. They are not that expensive. Or buy one used on craigslist for next to nothing.

o

OK, so it looks like it may be a fusible link with the cover over the protruding ends removed and the link between them melted.

From what I read, you measured the resistance between the two exposed terminals and had continuity when a piece of wire was placed across them - so you read the continuity of the wire jumper.

This is a FUSE - an overload protection device! You DO NOT just jumper it over as suggested. You need to find what caused the excessive current draw, and the fuse to open, in the first place.

With products such as this, buildup of debris and dirt, arcing of motor brushes, motor bearing failure, or shorts in the motor windings could all cause excessive current draw.

Clean everything up, lubricate brass bushing/bearings, clean and use electrical contact spray cleaner/oil on the armature, and then jumper a fuse, based on the product's current draw label, using clip leads across the fusible link.

If it blows, you've probably got problems that exceed economical repair - if not, order the replacement link, and you may be good to go for years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here