Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Welder Dual Voltage Input

Posted by tony41 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 20:29

My friend purchased from E-Bay a new Xtremepower Stick Welder.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xtremepower-Stick-Welder-200-amp-120V-Arc-MMA-110V-110-120-220-V-/370548285728?pt=BI_Welders&hash=item5646662120

Welder 200 amp/120V/Arc/MMA/110V/110/120/220

On the machine you have the choice of selecting 110 Volt or 220 Volt input.

There is no plug on the power cord.

3 wire cord consists of Brown - White/Green stripe - Green.

How would you connect a 220 volt male plug to this power cord?

The E-Bay seller was from the west coast. I'm thinking this welder is a cheap import from Asia.

To me this thing has UNSAFE written all over it!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Welder Dual Voltage Input

It's an $89 welder. Of course it's a cheap import from Asia.

On the machine you choose which input you are using. It all depends on how you choose. Is it a switch? Or is it determined by how you wire it.

Does it come with instructions?

o

No instructions in regards to power plug. The voltage switch has a locking mechanism. Not just flipping switch to adjust.

o

I believe that I could test to determine the hookup, if necessary. But first I would google.the brand and model number to see if anything shows up. No doubt others have encountered the same situation. From the little I know about color coding outside the USA, the Brown is one of the non-grounded conductors. So do a continuity test with that and with the others. The equipment grounding conductor should show continuity to the housing of the welder - and to nothing else.
Some of those welders are satisfactory and others are --. I am spoiled on a Lincoln high amperage DC with high duty cycle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here