Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old 240 v welder 3 wire plug - outlet is a 4 wire

Posted by ross_2010 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 7, 10 at 20:11

I recently purchased an old 200 amp mig welder which requires a 240v supply. I have an existing 240v outlet that was for my range (before i got a gas range). Since the wall that outlet is on shares a wall with the garage, I will basically turn the thing around and use it for the welder. However, the outlet is wired with 4 wires and the welder only has three. I have read numerous thoughts on the conversion and many of them oppose one another. I would like to get a difinitive, and safe answer for how to set up the wiring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old 240 v welder 3 wire plug - outlet is a 4 wire

The welder most likely has the two hots wires and a ground. The range receptacle has two hot wires, a ground, and a neutral. You just don't connect anything to the neutral, it doesn't need or care about it.

o

thank you Ronnatalie. Jist to be clear - the 4 wire is black(hot), black/red(hot), grey(neutral), and bare(ground) correct?

o

Yes, sounds rihgt. Green or bare is always ground. White or gray is always neutral. Other colors are fare games for the hots (black, red, blue, ...).

o

I bought a 50 amp 4 wire plug to match the outlet and wired the 3 wires the welder had, and left the neutral post empty just like you said... works perfectly! Thanks for the help!

o
RE: wiring 240 L14/20 plug

I am making an extension cord for my generator. I want to wire it for 240. Can I use a 12/3 cord and wire a jumper to the second hot leg??. Please advise..thanks for your time.

o

You'll have to explain yourself more, but I suspect the answer is no. And frankly, this has nothing whatsoever to do with the thread that you posted it in. It would be better if you started your own.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here