Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mpasquar

Electronically controlled duct damper wiring question

mpasquar
10 years ago

Hi garden web wiring folks,

Hoping someone can help. I'm installing a commercial-style kitchen vent hood with a powerful blower. The code requires a make-up air system that will allow fresh outside air to be let into the kitchen whenever the vent hood is on. So the typical installation is a separate inlet duct with an electronically controlled damper (in this case normally closed; open when energized). The damper runs on 24v... Transformer is included with the kit that I bought.

I'm stuck on how to tie damper 'open' with hood 'on'. The hood has an on/off switch and a variable speed control. But it is all contained in an enclosure/PCB device.... So no chance of splicing in downstream of the on/off switch. The only wiring I can get to is the output from the hood - which is a standard 14/2 wire that connects up the fan. The fan has no separate control - just the power coming from the hood. I'm guessing the fan speed is controlled by varying voltage.

Any ideas on how to link the hood output power wiring to the damper transformer? Should I just place an standard 14/2 box in series with the motor fan wiring and hook the transformer to that? Or is there a more elegant solution?

Comments (6)