Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wiring a single pole dimmer switch to recessed lights

Posted by jcraw84363 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 17, 10 at 19:33

Heres my problem: The single pole dimmer switch I just installed does not turn on the lights. Another switch does - so the recessed lights all work, but are on the wrong switch. Installed 4 recessed lights in the kitchen, and wired a single pole dimmer switch placing a new box in the kitchen for the dimmer switch. I cannot use the kitchens existing circuit due to over-load.
The dimmer switch has two black and a green wire. I then ran a 14-2 wire to the dimmer switch from a junction box in my attic. I also ran a second 14-2 wire from the same junction box in the attic to the dimmer switch. Each of the black wires coming into the dimmer switch box, connect to the two black wires on the dimmer switch. The two white wires are connected together, and the ground wires are all connected (3) together.

I also have coming into the attic junction box a 14-2 wire from the first of the four recessed lights boxes. The other three recess lights are connected together. I have fourth 14-2 wire coming into the attic junction box from which I thought I was getting my "power source" from. So this makes 4-wires coming into that attic junction box.
This fourth wire comes into the attic junction box from another junction box that controls an outside light. This 2nd junction box has a 14-2 wire coming in from a light switch in a closet, and another 14-2 wire going out to the outside light (so there are three 14-2 wires connected in this second junction box.

There are two 14-2 wires coming into the outside switch (one supplies the power source). Now the outside light switch controls both the outside light and my 4 kitchen recessed lights.

I need help! And, thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wiring a single pole dimmer switch to recessed lights

A switch cuts the black line only.

In the junction box find the incoming power (black) and hook up the white, painted black, of the cable going to the switch. At the switch hook up the white which you will also paint black on this end, to the black of the switch. Now hook up the black in the cable to the other black of the switch. Hook up all grounds.

You just made a switch loop.

At the junction box take the black from the switch and hook to the black going to the light. Hook the white from the light to the white of the incoming power cable.

You are done.

o

You tapped into the switched power for the outside light. You need to find a source of unswitched power for your dimmer controlled lights.

o

Please don't take this the wrong way, but there are hints in what you wrote suggesting that you don't have enough basic understanding of electricity, or wiring techniques, to wire your own home safely.

Please buy or borrow a copy of Wiring Simplified and read it before continuing with your project. You can probably ignore the chapter on farm wiring (if it's still in the current edition), but don't pass over the chapter on basic electrical circuits.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here